Wednesday, February 25, 2015

10% happier....

I managed 10 minutes of quiet sitting down today (note I'm not able to say 'meditation' yet!) and it felt nice. My mind kept wandering of course, and boy are my thoughts boring, but I kept trying to bring it back to the breath.

Bring it back to the breath.

Bring it back to the breath.

Bring it back to the breath.

Apparently the more you do that - shift your focus away from your thinking and concentrate (even for a nano-second) on your breathing - the more pauses you are inserting into the mindless chatter that goes on inside your head. And the more pauses you insert the more mindful you are able to be.

There are other ways to implement mindfulness throughout the day. I'm still working on trying to really focus on the moment. I was thinking today that when I am most miserable I am usually stuck in a thinking rut about something - i.e. not being in the moment at all.

I'm now reading "10% Happier: How I tamed the voice in my head, reduced stress without losing my edge, and found self-help that actually works - a true story" by Dan Harris. It's really really good. He's a work-a-holic TV newsman from the States who famously had a panic attack on-air and had to sort his shit out majorly. I'm just getting to the bit when he starts working on meditation and he is such a skeptic but slowly turns onto trying mindfulness etc and it did good things for him. I can presume it was more than just 'good' because his book is a best seller and has over 1300 customer reviews on Amazon and it was only released last December! Mine came out 2 months before his and has a mere 23 reviews sob sob (ha ha).

Anyway, I googled Dan Harris today and found this brilliant 14 minute clip from ABC news which is basically him reporting on himself, telling the full story of his public meltdown and his journey to being 10% happier. Worth a look.

Love, Mrs D xxx

3 comments:

  1. The 'calm' does come. Trust that it will. By taking those few minutes....12 yesterday.....plus 5 in the morning....you are telling the universe that you are ready for this mindfulness - this different way of being - accepting - nonjudgemental way of being. Like anything it takes time and patience. The 'monkey mind chatter' does abate. I'll look forward to seeing/reading about Hiw your inner peace emerges. Good on you for doing this in such a public way. GeeA

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find yoga really helps calm my mind and focus my breathing...and it's a much greater workout than one might think! Maybe you could kill two birds with one stone?

    ReplyDelete