Saturday, March 28, 2015

Week Three Day 6

(I am doing the 8-week course in this book which includes these free meditation audio files).

Whoop! Just realised that after tomorrow I will be moving on to a new week's programme. Also just realised that we are about to head away for an extended Easter break (10 days surrounded by family) so it's going to be a lot harder for me to do this course and blog about it daily. But I am determined and will try hard to stick at it as is my commitment to myself.

I haven't done the Habit Releaser yet this week which is to watch TV mindfully - i.e. choose one programme you want to watch, turn the TV on and watch it and then turn the TV off (that last bit is key I think). I get what they are trying to do here.. stop people from endless mindless TV watching. 
Problem is I don't do endless mindless TV watching. Mr D and I tend to choose shows to watch, watch them then turn it off. We're much more 'appointment viewing' people. So for me I think I'd be better served by doing the Habit Releaser with my iPad. i.e. choose one activity to do on my iPad (e.g. I'm now going to check on the Members Feed at Living Sober and see how everyone is doing) .. pick up the iPad, do that one activity and then put the iPad down

That will be crucial for me because I tend to do endless mindless iPad surfing. I pick it up to check the site, then I check Instagram, check Twitter, check both my blog's comments, check the local news  websites, check my Facebook page, check Words With Friends, go back and check some of the other stuff again even though it's only been 10 minutes since I last checked them.. etc etc etc. 

You get the picture?

Tomorrow I am going to mindfully use my iPad and that will be my Habit Releaser for Week Three.

In the meantime I did the Mindful Movement meditation followed immediately by the Breath and Body meditation earlier this evening. I was in the study with the door shut, my two big boys were watching TV in the other room which I could hear, and I felt slightly sick from the Pizza Hut garlic bread and fries I had eaten earlier not to mention the glass of sickly sweet Sprite. Yuk. But I did the meditations and they were nice. They always are.

I did two 3-minute Breathing Space meditations earlier in the day all by myself (i.e. not listening to the audio clip) which they recommend. I really like those little emergency meditations and think they'll be useful.

Very tired. Need to go to bed. But first a mug of Chamomile tea and some lemon flavoured yogurt. 

Love, Mrs D xxx

1 comment:

  1. I do that same thing you are describing withy our iPad, only it is with my smartphone instead. It is like an endless circle of "checking things" and I think by the time I circle around a 3rd time and of course nothing new has popped up, then I am clearly doing it to avoid doing some other thing. My impulsive/compulsive need to escape/daydream/fantasize is something that really came up for me in sobriety. So I am trying to be more mindful of the moment and come back to reality. Right now I am OK with just realizing that is what I am doing and pondering that, sometimes I will PUT THE PHONE DOWN and go do what I am avoiding. How novel. :) I am enjoying following your journey "within" - thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete