Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Who's driving the bus?

I'm about to go and sit down cross legged on the floor for 10-15 minutes with my eyes shut. I am looking forward to it. I haven't had a chance to do it much over the past few days because I had a house guest and then was out all day yesterday helping on a school trip.

Excuses excuses.

My hairdresser told me her mum has been meditating for years and years and every now and then will just say to her 'if you'll just excuse me for a minute darling I'm just going to take a moment' and she'll then sit there with her eyes closed looking all calm and serene.

I loved this! It made me laugh and feel so happy for some reason.

Then last night a girlfriend who I don't see often was telling me she has just done a mindfulness class (I'm now realising how massive this is, a growing phenomenon in the world and I am so not alone in what I am learning how to do).

Anyway my friend was saying that they were taught that identifying and labelling their thoughts was a big step in diminishing their power. I hope I've got this right.

It made sense to me because when I am in a 'down' phase I am always caught in a thinking 'loop' about something.. i.e. picking over and over it in my brain so that it is hard for me to feel happy and calm. Now I can recognise what the thoughts are, and which part of me they are coming from (e.g. that is my 'judgemental sober person' talking or that is my 'incessant worrier' talking), and then you tell that person inside you that they have been heard, thank you very much for your input, and now you can move away.

Another friend said she heard it's like we're a bus and different emotions take turns driving the bus. And sometimes you have to take the wheel off different emotions. Or different parts of you.

IE if someone else's drinking was worrying me I have to hear the 'judgemental sober person' inside me thinking about that for a while and then I have to tell that part of me to let go of the wheel, that they have been heard, thank you for your input now go to the back seat.

Does this make any sense whatsoever?

Does to me. Anyway. A sit down awaits me.....

Love, Mrs D xxx

3 comments:

  1. As I was reading this, I thought (ha)... what if all our thoughts were actually "out loud"... we sure would be telling a lot of them to shut up!

    But also, we have a huge range of quality of thoughts... I read a lot about "shutting thoughts down" or "turning thoughts off". I don't know if this is possible. But I do know that awareness can help us have much better quality thinking. Our brains and bodies are the most incredible invention ever, and we're capable of so much more than the incessant worrying looping that becomes our habit if we don't take time to learn otherwise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are exactly right! We do have amazing bodies and brains. And we can change anything if we want to. Who wouldn't want 'calm' to reign in their lives on a daily basis? It's what I'm working on that is for sure. I did a lovely 20 mins guided meditation this afternoon. Mindfulness - so many people are tuning into it. I think it's fabulous. So much nicer to be around people that are mindful and caring. Rather than those that are toxic with lives full of drama - usually of their own making. Dealing with our 'life stuff' in a measured and calm manner, rather than a reactionary one, is so much easier on our nerves. Therefore it's gotta be healthier!

      Delete
  2. Nothing quite like sitting practice...

    ReplyDelete