Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Week Seven Day 1

(I am doing the 8-week course in this book which includes these free meditation audio files).

I gave myself a break yesterday so today is my Week Seven Day 1. This week they are being less prescriptive about what audios I listen to - I just have to choose two from the list above to do daily.. plus two Breathing Space's a day as well.

I've been a bit slack on the Breathing Spaces I have to be honest. I think of doing them, and I start, but quickly my mind wanders and I don't finish properly I don't think. 

But hey! I'm a mindful work in progress and at least I am thinking of doing them and starting on them even if they're not perfect. They're supposed to last 3 minutes and go through 3 distinct phases and then a point at the end when you decide how to proceed with your day (in the same way, or to take a skillful action). There's a lot of writing about what that skillful action could be! But basically it's about waking up to your stress or mood, taking a moment to ground yourself and register what's going on internally and then shifting your behaviour so that you feel better. 

This week there are many black lines in the book where I am supposed to fill in my personal details. Lists of activities I do in a typical day and whether they are nourishing or depleting. A list of how I can alter my activities so more are nourishing and less are depleting.  A list of things I can do to be kind to my body, a list of enjoyable activities, and a list of things that give me a sense of mastery, satisfaction, achievement or control.

They say the core message of Week Seven is 'Tiny actions can fundamentally alter your relationship to the world for the better."

Well ok then!

I just did the Mindful Movement audio from the list above because I liked it when I did it earlier. And the Exploring Difficulties one because it really forces me to pay attention to how my body reacts to emotions - something I'm not very good at.

They were nice, they always are. 

Will resolve to do more Breathing Spaces as instructed this week and will flesh out more about what I can do differently after each.

Love, Mrs D xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment