Monday, April 13, 2015

Week Six Day 1

(I am doing the 8-week course in this book which includes these free meditation audio files).

Well boy-oh-boy, this week is all about turning to yourself with genuine loving-kindness and friendship. There is a new meditation to listen to which is 10 minutes long called The Befriending Meditation. It's all about anchoring yourself in the present moment (of course) and then sending out all sorts of kind and lovely thoughts.. to yourself and others...

Once again it's hard to summarise what they are attempting to do with this week's practice... there is a whole chapter describing what the thinking is behind this Befriending Meditation. Might be best just to directly quote a passage...

"If we are to find true peace, we have to listen to the quiet voice of compassion and ignore the bellowing ones of fear and guilt and shame. Meditation can help us to do this, but we have to imbue it with kindness, otherwise we run the risk of finding temporary respite, but not the true peace that lies beyond the ups and downs of daily life. We end up dampening down the noise, but remain deaf to a better, more wholesome way of living."

Well by crikey. I just did it. It is LOVELY LOVELY LOVELY. So very lovely. Kind phrases to think towards myself, the same kind phrases to think towards a loved one, the same kind phrases to think towards a neutral person (I chose the man that runs the store down the road), the same kind phrases to think toward a tricky person, and finally the same kind phrases to think toward all of mankind which includes yourself.

Lovely.

I had to return this book to the library today - panic! Had ignored enough overdue notices and couldn't renew it because I had already... so back through the returns slot it went this morning. But imagine my delight when I phoned a good bookstore in town and they had one in store! So it's been put aside for me and I will collect it in the morning.

I love this stuff. A lot.

Love, Mrs D xxx

4 comments:

  1. Awesome work Mrs D. I especially love how you managed to keep it up while on holiday and with the challenges that posed. Your commitment is admirable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mrs D, well done on keeping up with the meditations. Reading your blog has inspired me to try my second attempt at completing the book. I got to 2 weeks the last time! I'm now on week 4. It's been quite challenging to fit all the meditations in especially with the Easter holidays and having 4 kids! Good luck with the rest, I look forward to following your blog and completing the course.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I learned about this loving kindness meditation in Pema Chodron's books. It is amazing eh? I made it my walking practice when I walked to yoga or work in the morning... it was really hard to learn to do it with the messages to myself, but once I could genuinely wish myself happiness, peace, freedom, presence, an open heart... well then I could wish it to others too. Pretty much every morning the first people I'd encounter were the ones coming from the homeless shelter on Taranaki St. I sent them a lot of love over the months, and it totally changed my feelings for them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I learned about this loving kindness meditation in Pema Chodron's books. It is amazing eh? I made it my walking practice when I walked to yoga or work in the morning... it was really hard to learn to do it with the messages to myself, but once I could genuinely wish myself happiness, peace, freedom, presence, an open heart... well then I could wish it to others too. Pretty much every morning the first people I'd encounter were the ones coming from the homeless shelter on Taranaki St. I sent them a lot of love over the months, and it totally changed my feelings for them.

    ReplyDelete