Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Thanks but no thanks

I'm really conflicted about The Chopra Centre - there's no doubt they do amazing work, and are well intentioned to help people improve their lives through meditation (and I believe that it's true that you can do this, undoubtedly, and I want to do this!).. but they are hardcore SELLERS man.

I've just spent 45 minutes listening to their live online 'event' .... a chat with Deepak Chopra and Roger Gabriel about how to incorporate meditation into a busy stressful life... and by the end of it I WAS feeling motivated to resume my meditation and I WAS feeling more energetic about walking the dog this afternoon (silly example but the truth) and I WAS feeling interested in the differing forms of meditation/mindfulness and thinking I would research more about them...

... and then they launched into this HARD SELL about a 6-session course that they've designed to do all that they discussed in the talk. And WOW it's 6 sessions to take me through everything they just promised and YES I want to do that but it is a LOT of money and I don't know why but I just feel a bit annoyed that it had to come to this.

Is that bad? Should they offer it for free or really cheap and not hundreds of dollars? I think of my beloved Tara Brach who offers SO MUCH material free every single week on her website.

I'm conflicted. I don't want to criticise these dudes but they have left me feeling a bit sucked in and deflated because I wasn't expecting their online event to be an advertisement, and I am not in a position to spend hundreds of dollars on their 6-session online course (Mr D would have my guts for garters if I did that).

So instead I will go walk the dog with a positive spring in my step. And I will start sitting and meditating regularly to try and achieve some of the positive benefits of it. And maybe I will do some of my own research on different types of mediation.

So I won't leave today's experience negatively, I did get a lot from their free web event - thanks guru dudes - but I won't be signing up to your very special offer today.

Love, Mrs D xxx

4 comments:

  1. I just ignore all those 'hard sell things' from all the on-line sellers. There are heaps; Deepak and Oprah included. My view is 'if it feels right then I do it'. And I weigh up the factors. Financial is always a huge one for me too. Over the past 2 years I've purchased 9 of their meditations. All were on a special price of $38 USA. And I re-do them. Just started 'Your Perfect Health' again. Third time. And you are exactly right there are many, many, more available for 'free'. And that is our choice to listen to those too. They are not better or worse. They are different. You will find the ones that work for you. Trust yourself to do that. Meditation is only a small part of my 'whole mind-body wellness'. Not drinking alcohol is another. Not drinking coffee is another. Looking more closely at nutrition.... making new choices/changes. Taking some xtra supplements under the guidance of my lovely naturopath is another. Taking up some regular walking exercise (due to an accident 4 years ago this has been lacking - prior to that I was playing golf weekly and walking 3-5 km most days) is my next challenge.... so I really hope you enjoy your day! And especially that lovely walk with the pooch later! And you are not judging or criticising these dudes - you are merely expressing your opinion; and making an observation on what you feel. All good stuff I reckon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. iPad giving up after a few words... I always feel guilty for not sending some money to the lovely Tara though, she is so prolific! All we need along with Mark W. I am going to an Art of Living series, three nights and the weekend, so that will be interesting. If a few hours can change our brains, I hope to be totally transformed lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've taken myself off all of those mailing lists. I know where to find what I need when I need it.

    ReplyDelete