Tuesday, November 10, 2015

OMG BRILLIANT BOOK!!!!!!

I am reading the BEST BOOK EVER ABOUT EMOTIONS AND HOW TO APPROACH THEM.

IT IS BRILLIANT AND YES I KNOW THAT I AM YELLING BUT SERIOUSLY, THIS BOOK IS THE BEST BOOK I HAVE EVER READ ABOUT EMOTIONS AND HOW TO APPROACH THEM!

Ok will stop yelling and repeating myself now. But this is the book I have been looking for since I got sober. It is targeting and answering all my questions about how to manage emotions.

It's called The Happiness Trap (which is kind of a silly name) and it is by Russ Harris who was interviewed on the Mindfulness Summit. It is based on the style of psychotherapy he does called ACT (Acceptance and Commitment Therapy) and it is bloody brilliant!!

The blurb on the front of the book says: "The mindfulness based program for reducing stress, overcoming fear and creating a rich and meaningful life."

It is full of practical tips and easy to follow techniques on how to accept your emotions and detach from your thoughts about them - how to recognise the observing you and the thinking you and distinguishing between the two. How to not always believe your thoughts are real, don't let them hook you and carry you away into an inner dialogue which is unhelpful, don't try to over analyse them, don't seek answers to tough emotions or try to fight them or deny them.. oh my god I could try to summarise this book but really you just have to read it.

It is fantastic I am going to buy my own copy so I can own it - the one I am reading is from the library.

One of the tips he gave which I love so much is to say to yourself whenever you have a fear-based through or hear a limiting self-belief in your mind 'thank you mind' .. 'thank you mind for that unhelpful thought but now I am going to get on with what I am doing'.. i.e. you detach from the thought, thank your mind for creating it (in a warm but slightly condescending way!) and then you move on to the task at hand.

Also asking yourself often 'Is this a helpful thought?'.

So often we create so much bullshit with our thinking!!

I am doing well post summit with my mindfulness practice. I am doing lots and lots of semi-formal practice during the days (pausing to breath and take stock of what is happening in my mind and body, bringing myself back into the present by focusing on my breath or what is specifically in my hands/in front of my eyes at that very moment).. and I have even done teeny bit of formal practice, times where I have sat in a considered pose, shut my eyes and looked at what was happening inside my mind with a warm curiosity regularly stopping my thoughts from running away with me and bringing my focus back to my breath and the present moment.

Happy.

Love, Mrs D xxx

4 comments:

  1. I will put this book on my library hold list. I participated in the summit also (thanks to your links about it!) and have been really getting into it myself during that and since then. I've started regular "sitting" practice at least twice a day (in morning) if not 3 times (when I can nab a minute toward end of day, hard with kids home after school), averaging about 20 - 30 min total per day, which seems to really be helping me out a ton. Some days I wish I could just "sit" all day. Ha ha. Anyway I wanted to suggest a book I've got on loan from my library as an audiobook actually... it is Practicing The Power of the Now by Eckhart Tolle. I'd heard of him several times over past 600 or so days of recovery, and more so once I started dabbling in mindfulness. I had checked out the first book Power of Now from the library at one time and just couldn't get into it so returned it. But this "Practicing..." one published later seems to be more of a Cliff Notes study guide version, however with Eckhart reading it, it really seems to be a full book and all extremely interesting and powerful and so many connections from recovery, and mindfulness and things Tara Brach teaches, etc. It can be a be heavy and what on critic described as seemingly "awash in spiritual mumbo-jumbo" but once you remove judgement and really listen to it, it makes so much sense. Since studying mindfulness I find that I do a lot of rehashing of the past and rehearsing of the future and he talks about how that is such a waste of psychological time... "you can't find yourself in the past or future, the only place you can find yourself is in the Now." Anyway, thanks again for linking to the Summit and I'm always happy to read your new insights.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bought it in kindle last night and started reading it on my phone under the sheets so as not to wake OH up.Isn't it cool to be reading and learning new things like this.I would never have bothered if I was drinking wine.But now I'm not numbing I need all these tips plus it feels like real spiritual growth to me and that makes me feel proud and like a proper grown up.xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think i saw it in a 2nd hand bookshop window and failed to link it to the RussH of the Summit - yes, the silly name threw me. Must get back there asap. Thank you so love recommendations XXXX

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think i saw it in a 2nd hand bookshop window and failed to link it to the RussH of the Summit - yes, the silly name threw me. Must get back there asap. Thank you so love recommendations XXXX

    ReplyDelete