Monday, May 9, 2016

Two talks on food...

Have managed to listen to two more of the free Hay House Summit talks - both on food.

The first was a woman called Donna Schlenk and her talk 'Cultured Food for the Soul' was all about now the gut, body and mind work together. She raved about cultured and probiotic foods like kefir and kimchi etc and how they help you feel good, lift depression, and heal disease etc etc. It's all about the  millions of microbes that live in and on each of us apparently.

She was pretty evangelical because these foods saw her go from miserable and sick to healthy and happy. She said people who get well often feel so good they want to help others find the same thing and I can relate to that with my sobriety! I feel so good now that I don't drink alcohol I want to help others get here too (if they are secretly miserable with their drinking like I was).

Anyway I don't eat any of these cultured foods that Donna raves about but I am wondering if I might give them a try. She says start with “the trilogy”: kefir, kombucha, and cultured vegetables. Choose one and add it to your diet slowly—no need to overhaul your kitchen in one day. And she says moving gradually toward healthier foods is the best way to effect change. So maybe I'll investigate getting a kefir powder that I can add to shakes easily and see what that does.

The second guy was called Jason Wrobel and he's a raw food/vegan chef with books out and stuff (the more I take part in these online summits like this one and the mindfulness one the more I get the sense that the world - particularly America! - is full of wellness experts with books out and fancy websites that offer weekly newsletters etc etc.. it's a huge industry!). Anyway he was an alert sounding guy, happy and healthy, and he raves about plant-based diets and good physical exercise etc etc. His talk was called "Living a Deliciously Long, Healthy, Joyful Life!" so that gives you him in a nutshell.

He talked a lot but the main takeaways for me were that you can't radically change your diet in a hurry.. it needs to be gradual or the detoxification process is too intense for the body. He talked about the power of music and dancing as a healing tool (I have often written about music being a big part of my self-care routine in recovery.)

He offers a guide to the perfect morning routine which to be honest sounds completely over the top and ridiculous  (I'm sorry to say that but I am being honest) certainly not for me with 3 kids and a dog to attend to first thing each day. The link to his full suggested list for a morning routine is here. Here are the things that I will take from it;

* Morning gratitudes are very very beneficial. Many others talk about this. Start the day with a mental list of things you are grateful for. Saying it out loud is even more effective

* Do some deep breathing to cleanse the lungs. A yoga breathing exercise can energise and calm you. Here's a YouTube video to the one he particularly recommends.

* Drink a tall glass of water with 2 tsp lemon juice or apple cider vinegar added

He did offer some recipes and I typed them down! Some of these ingredients I just don't have..but maybe I'll get them..

Cherry Chocolate Smoothie.
Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups coconut milk (or almond or
2tsp matcha powder
1 tbsp raw cacao powder
1 tbs greens powder or handful kale
1 tsp vegan protein powder
1 frozen banana
3/4 cup hard frozen cherries
1/2 cup goji berries
1/2 avocado

(I made a banana cake while I listened to him!! Whoops.....)

Love, Mrs D xxx

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing the summit link the other day, I've signed up for it and have listened to a video with Eckhart Tolle (love him) and several others that I might not have tried on my own, but listening with a "beginner's mind" and surprised by the connections I am hearing. (Have never heard of Course of Miracles before, but have now heard it mentioned twice). Haven't listened to any of these food talks yet. I enjoy Kefir fruit smoothies when I am eating healthy on 17 Day Diet, which advises at least two servings of probiotics a day. I have been curious about trying kombucha tea but haven't yet because of the controversy it seems to spark amongst sober folks... certain brews of it can contain up to 1% alcohol so it can almost be considered a "near beer" or same as other possibly triggery "N/A beers / wines." The health benefits sound nice, but I'd be worried it might wake up my lizard brain, so have stayed away from it for now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is quite a bit of evidence pointing to the benefits of a plant based diet. I like Dr Greger's book, How Not To Die which has a chapter on depression and foods that might benefit. I am a firm believer in natural probiotic foods, my personal favourite is kimch, especially radish kimchi. If you try one and dont like it dont give up because different makes vary so much. I dont like mine too spicy.

    ReplyDelete